SELECTED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Independent multimedia journalist. Chicago, Ill., and Boston, Mass.
September 2013 – present
Covered education, poverty and policy news for publications including The Atlantic, The Hechinger Report, The Christian Science Monitor, The Huffington Post, PBS, Education Dive and Negocios Now.
- Investigated life outcomes of families displaced by the demolition of Chicago’s notorious Cabrini Green housing project with a fellowship from the Marguerite Casey Foundation and produced a two-part series along with a graphics package.
- Explored the benefits and challenges of a dual language high school program in Boston as an Education Writers Association Reporting Fellow. (Expected publication: fall 2017.)
- Produced in-depth analyses about investigations into sexual assault at Illinois colleges, equity issues inherent in Massachusetts’ bilingual education policy, and the rise in grandparents raising grandchildren, in part due to the opioid crisis.
- Reported on Boston-area early-childhood efforts, including an initiative to change the culture of parenting and one nonprofit’s work using brain science to break patterns of intergenerational poverty.
- Edited and translated articles and news digests for online and print distribution of national award-winning bilingual publication Negocios Now.
Staff writer. Daily Herald. Elgin, Ill.
September 2010 – August 2013
Covered a city of 110,000 and, later, regional education issues for Illinois’ third largest paper.
- Produced a three-day series about a controversial online charter school proposal that was rejected by 18 school districts. The series contributed to the resignation of two out of four school board members.
- Contributed to an award-winning, three-day series commemorating the 40th anniversary of Title IX and highlighting the landmark legislation’s reach beyond women in sports.
- Made more than 20 appearances on Chicago’s ABC affiliate to discuss published work, including stories about expansion of dual language education, the exorbitant fee one city tacked onto some routine traffic stops and a county board’s battle with a Mexican family hosting legal, but controversial, horse races.
- Wrote weekly columns about interesting and inspiring community members, including a manual elevator operator and a tool and die man turned eggshell carver.
Communications Coordinator. Voces de la Frontera. Milwaukee, Wisc.
March 2010 – April 2010
Accompanied Wisconsin activists on weeklong, five-city bus tour leading up to D.C. immigration rally.
- Wrote daily blog in Spanish and English, drafted press releases and scheduled interviews for Main Street on the Move tour, which advocated for congressional action on jobs and immigration reform.
Reporter/Intern. Kitsap Sun. Bremerton, Wash.
September 2009 – December 2009
Worked as a full-time general assignment reporter, producing one video per week and a range of feature articles
- Produced an award-winning article and accompanying video about an overlooked, multimillion dollar industry wherein mostly immigrant workers pick wild plants for flower bouquets worldwide.
- Filmed and edited video interviews with Pearl Harbor survivors for an award-winning multimedia piece.
Staff member. WNUR News, Northwestern University. Evanston, Ill.
September 2006 – June 2007
- Worked as a radio reporter, anchor and producer, organizing newscasts and operating sound boards.
- Fluent in written and spoken Spanish
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Adobe Premiere Elements, Adobe InDesign, Final Cut Pro, Audacity, Saxotech Mediaware Center, AP style
- Knowledgeable in Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Access, Tableau Public
- Experienced in cross-platform promotion and discussion of newspaper stories on TV and radio.
2017 Education Writers Association Reporting Fellow
2014 Equal Voice Journalism Fellow, funded by the Marguerite Casey Foundation
2013 Chicago Headline Club Lisagor Award for Education Reporting
First Place, 2010 SPJ Pacific Northwest Region for Business Reporting
Third Place, 2010 SPJ Pacific Northwest Region for Special Report/Enterprise
Bachelor of Science, cum laude. Double major in journalism and sociology
Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST